Sunday, May 31, 2009

Horny Indians

Indians are horny. You can see it and hear it all day, all night. They can't seem to get enough! You would never witness this kind of behavior in Europe or the States- well, maybe occasionally in New York City or LA, just not to this extent! Recently the government has tried to intervene by posting signs, but old habits die hard. So when you are in Mumbai, cover your ears and hold onto your pants, because Mumbaikars love to honk their horns.


I'm not talking about a single angry blast to avoid an accident. That kind of horning is perfectly understandable. What I mean is a curious constant tooting Indians keep up for any reason you can imagine or couldn't imagine. Passing a car? Honk honk! Changing to the right lane? Give a toot! Changing to the left lane? Try out that horn! Speeding up a bit? Sound the alarm! You are even reminded to use your horn, if you somehow forgot, with "Horn OK Please" hand-painted on the back of every truck. And it isn't because the cars and trucks and rickshaws are ill-equipped. They have directionals which probably work. But why would you flip on a light when you have a horn! In India, directionals would be more aptly named optionals, or, better yet, ornaments. It seems all you need to drive in Mumbai is a functioning horn, ballsiness, and a hell of a lot of luck.


I am not sure how this method of driving has developed. The government would like to change it; maybe enough people have complained of noise pollution. There are signs up asking drivers not to horn: Silence zone, No honking, or, my personal favorite, No Horn! Unless absolutely necessary. I have a feeling I will never witness horn-free traffic in Mumbai, though. How can you change the horning habits of millions of people? Unless the government funds a mass hornectomy of all vehicles, the horn is here to stay for a long while. Bring your earplugs if you choose to visit.



P.S. I am going through camera withdrawal right now. I will post pictures as soon as I can, but before I can go out snapping pictures, we need to find an apartment, move in, find a reliable nanny. Then! I will be able to enjoy Mumbai and get shutter happy. ;)

6 comments:

  1. Horny India... I like it !
    Someone told me that driving in India is not about skills. But about good reflexes !
    I still have not driven a car here yet, but I have to do it some day. Need to be able to say: "I drove a car in Mumbai and survived."
    - so better survive to tell the story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Martin has tried a few times but swears never to do it again. I have only been around with our new driver, a Mr. Shah. I asked him how he avoids death on the roads and he told me he drives like it's a video game. =P

    ReplyDelete
  3. And he is going to be your driver, trusted with your life...??
    I dont know if driving like a video game is good or bad... But it sounds like fun :-)
    So you got a driver who speaks English pretty good? That must be a BIG advantage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The root of the problem lies in the fact that Indians have no lane discipline. Therefore, if you need to pass somebody in the left lane, it is a necessity that you apply the horn in order to ensure that he doesnt suddenly change his lane. I never use the horn while in the US but when I drive in India, I feel I HAVE to for the sake of life and limb.

    I don't know why Indians use the horn when they are stopped at a red light though. That is a mystery to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes, gawker, i see what you mean. our horn actually broke down last week and both our driver and my husband miss the horn. esp. our driver who doesn't know what to do without it. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Honking is banned in New Delhi at most places & on most roads. Actually, all roads. It's been a while since we've had the constant honking mess. It's a wonderful relief.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!