Monday, June 22, 2009

Monsooner or later?


Southern India has two main climates: hot or hot and wet. When we arrived in Mumbai at the end of steamy May, Mumbaikkers were already eager for their shirts to be soaked with rain instead of sweat. The local people told us the monsoon season would begin by June 6th. (The monsoon is a big conversation topic around here.) But June 6th came and went without a drop from the sky. The newspapers reported a one week delay. Then a two week delay. Three days ago, the Times of India said the monsoon would start today, almost for sure, and though the air is heavy with moisture and it is breezier than normal, I haven't popped open my umbrella or ducked for cover yet.



Until it pours down steadily every day, I've been retreating to the pool. On Saturday, new friend Dawn (also American) and her cute daughter, Ena (Indian American), joined me and Isabel for a loungy day of chitchat and sunshine.



Isabel is new to swimming. She doesn't laugh or smile more than usual when she's in the water, but I think it's a good way for her to cool off when it's 95 degrees. Three-year old Ena jumped right in and went to town with watering flowers, pouring water on my head, playing with plastic toys.

The babies splish splashed, and the grown-ups got to know each other over diet cokes and lime sodas. It's great to meet people in similar situations when you are living abroad, and it is extra nice for me when they happen to be American. :)

Here are some pictures Dawn took:














1 comment:

  1. Hey.... i find this blog interesting from an American perspective... I'm Indian American (born and raised) living in Houston.

    Let me know if you need any advice... been to India many times... more familiar with Delhi though...

    Have fun there, sometimes I wish I lived there! (More fun than here).

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!